news writers schools contact kid books teen books about

6.8.07

More on First Drafts

So, I'm finally taking a break from my current work-in-progress to post.

Right now, I'm writing a first draft. For me, this is the absolute hardest part of writing a novel. I mean, really, imagine closing your eyes, concentrating really hard and conjuring up a lump of clay with nothing more than your measly 10% brain power. Now you kind of know what writing a first draft feels like.

Whenever I'm writing a first draft, I try to get it out as quickly as possible, otherwise I lose my train of thought. Then I have to go back and reread everything I've written before, and as the book gets longer and longer, that takes longer and longer and then Boom! the baby wakes up from his nap and I have to stop writing and I haven't even written anything yet.

So, if I could, I'd like to take a whole week and write non-stop, maybe at some beautiful writer's colony or five-star-hotel. The only problem is that I can't really manage more than 1500 words at a time, even though I want to write more, my 10% is kaput.

Maybe someday I'll unlock the secret 90%. Maybe then I'll be able to simply telepathically transport my book into other people's brains rather than having to write it and get others to buy it. Do you think that would be illegal?

Now, back to work! Because once I get that lump of clay, then I can really dig in and have fun. Get my hands wet and slimy and sculpt and sculpt and sculpt. (Revise, revise, revise!)

But first I have to get there. Which means I need to go hit my 1500.

Bye.

P.S. Sorry, still can't tell you what it's about.