news writers schools contact kid books teen books about

27.8.07

Last thought on First Drafts

You may have noticed, in previous posts, that I'm working on a first draft. And I may have mentioned that I find them to be one of the more challenging parts of being a writer.

But I stand here today (sit here today?) feeling rather chagrined because of this post over at Meg Cabot's blog. Her words reminded me that writing a first draft should be the most exciting part of writing. The part where the story unfolds before you and your characters come to life. The part where the possibilities and paths in front of you are nearly infinite. (Hyperbole alert!)

So from now on I'm going to approach first drafts from a totally different angle. I'm going to try to be as creative and have as much fun as possible. Maybe I'll even pretend I'm Meg Cabot. Hmmm... I think I may need a tiara and a boa.